Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Judge Rotenberg Center: The Most Unethical Disability Treatment School

(Originally for The Voice of Heard posted on May 13, 2011 as 'The Judge Rotenberg Center: The Moral and Legal Reprehension of Disability Treatment at an Unethical School')

Ever since I was first diagnosed with autism as a child, my parents had sent me to special education programs, speech and language therapies, and hired aides that have helped me develop socially and intellectually over the years of my life. I have been and still am grateful to my family, teachers, and peers who have helped me get to where I am today. However, I have learned a few months ago that there is a center with a program for disabled people similar to myself and others with more severe conditions, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, severe autism, mental retardation, and emotional disturbance. Unfortunately, the students who attend the center are not developing as well as I have and how they are treated is, in my father’s words when I first told him about its existence, “morally and legally reprehensible.” The center is called the Judge Rotenberg Center, located in Canton, Massachusetts, 20 miles outside of Boston. The treatment is a “behavior modification program” that consists of electric shocks, physical and mechanical restraints, punishment-and-reward programs, forced cohesion to behavioral expectations, and 24/7 monitoring at all times. Any form of social interaction between students, staff, and among themselves is discouraged as part of the JRC’s treatment program.




For the past few months, I have desired to write about this but could not due to college work, distractions at home, and my routine autistic behavior. I feel that I should have done this earlier since first learning about the JRC and the inhuman treatment of its “patients.” As an autistic person, I am appalled as I read reports about students getting shocked for behaviors that are not considered aggressive, including swearing, not dressing appropriately, nagging, stopping work for ten seconds, getting out of a seat, and even slouching in a chair. I have a desire to write everything that I have read that has been going on at the center but I actually cannot since there is so much information that I find hard to summarize in my own words in the most convenient way for you, the readers. So, I find it best to post internet links so that you can read the articles I have read and view the videos that I have watched, all of which are below.


This link contains a report on the JRC made by the New York State Education Department five years ago.


This article was written a year after the NYSED report by an independent journalist who visited the center.


This is a report made last year by the Mental Disability Rights International in an appeal to the United Nations to take action against the JRC.


This video is a report on the JRC made by ABC Nightline last year.


After you have gone over these links, I urge you to post comments so I can reply to them as part of an online conversation as to find ways to stand up against the JRC and its practices. So as long as the JRC remains open, misinformed parents of disabled people with limited resources and options for helping deal with them will continue to turn to the center which uses treatments that are described as torture by the UN. The best conclusion I can come up with is this: the JRC is one of the most blatant human rights violations to have ever existed here in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment